Re: How to get full value of variable during edebug function tracing?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: How to get full value of variable during edebug function tracing?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 08:22:06 +0200

> Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Personally, in similar circumstances I tend to do the following:
>>
>>     e (setq my-foo <THEVARIABLE>) RET
>>
>> and then I go to my trusty `ielm` buffer to look at `my-foo` in all
>> its glory.
>
> That's what I do, too, but it's kinda cumbersome, isn't it?  So I've now
> made `C-u e' in edebug in Emacs 29 pop up a new buffer and pretty-print
> the value.

That sounds useful. Could you pop it up in a tooltip?

What about using mouse pointer as a "secondary cursor", if we would like to see
some previous value, so we don't have to move cursor around:

(defun pointer (x y)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (window-start))
    (forward-line x)
    (when (> (- (line-end-position) (line-beginning-position)) y)
      (move-to-column y)
      (1- (point)))))

(defun symbol-value-under-pointer ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (let ((pointer (mouse-position)))
    (goto-char (pointer (cddr pointer) (cadr pointer)))
    (let ((sym (intern-soft (current-word))))
      (when sym
        (message "%S: %S" sym (symbol-value sym)))))))

Could that be useful to have on a C-u C-u e?