switching from line-mode to char-mode

From: Ost Qa
Subject: switching from line-mode to char-mode
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 06:37:20 +0000 (UTC)

I recently updated a few machines and noticed that term.el in Emacs version 27+
forcibly submits my pasted commands to the shell sub-process when switching to
char-mode (from line-mode). In prior versions of Emacs term.el didn't do this;
I could further modify the command in char-mode even if it was pasted from
line-mode and submit it myself by pressing enter.
I find this very inconvenient since I often copy a command from another buffer
and paste it into the terminal via line-mode, then switch to char-mode so I can
use bash completion to further modify the command. I understand that I could,
for example, use a shell instead of ansi-term and rely on something like
https://github.com/szermatt/emacs-bash-completion for completion but that
solution has adverse consequences when running curses based programs.

This has bothered me so much it's caused me to load an old version of term.el
by adding the following to my .emacs file:
(unless (version< emacs-version "27.0")

  (load-user-file "term.el"))
Anyway... is this change to the functionality of term.el a bug or intentional?
I've looked through term.el itself but I'm not an especially seasoned Emacs
lisp developer and so can't infer enough from it.

Am I the only one who thinks this functionality is a step backwards?

Thanks 1e6