Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: carlmarcos
Subject: Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:15:00 +0200 (CEST)

--
 Sent with Tutanota, enjoy secure & ad-free emails.

Jun 21, 2022, 10:26 by rpluim@gmail.com:

> >> Have been reading the docstring of `completing-read`.
>
>  >> (completing-read PROMPT COLLECTION &optional PREDICATE REQUIRE-MATCH
>  >> INITIAL-INPUT HIST DEF INHERIT-INPUT-METHOD)
>
>  >> INITIAL-INPUT states that this feature is deprecated - it is best to pass
> nil
>  >> for INITIAL-INPUT and supply the default value DEF instead.
>
>  >> When do you plan to remove the `INITIAL-INPUT` argument from
> `completing-read`?
>
> No such plan exists. At best Emacs could start ignoring that arg, but
> we canʼt just change the signature of such a public function.
>
> Robert

Have put some explanation on the value of keeping the functionality of
`INITIAL-INPUT`, rather than
stopping it having any effect.  I can see the value of using an initial value
for certain situations, rather than  always having the field empty,
particularly when one has `REQUIRE-MATCH` being `t`.