Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:57:17 +0200

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

>>> What other reason can there be? [...]
>>
>> Improved user experience?
>
> Why/how so?

You have to delete the initial input if it's not what you want or if you
want to see the other possibilities.  So basically all occurrences where
INITIAL-INPUT is used as a kind of default value are better handled with
the DEF argument.

The only places where I can see it's useful is when all possible
completions have a common prefix and that is given as initial-input (but
then you only save one TAB) or with completing-read-multiple when it's
highly likely that the user wants to use the defaults given as
initial-input and just insert some more.  (completing-read-multiple
doesn't explicitly state that INITIAL-INPUT is deprecated.)

Bye,
Tassilo