RE: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 16:25:42 +0000

> You have to delete the initial input if it's not what
> you want or if you want to see the other possibilities.

That's akin to the arguments pro/con
`delete-selection-mode'.  One person says
she wants to be able to immediately type to
replace/delete, without first having to use
`C-w'.  Another person says she prefers to
always explicitly use `C-w' first, and not
have Emacs automatically delete selected
text by default.

Au choix - vive la difference.  You get to
choose.

> So basically all occurrences

"Basically"? or "all"?  Do you mean not all
but most/generally?  Or do you mean all, so
not just basically?

I guess you mean almost all, aka _not_ all.

> where INITIAL-INPUT is used as a kind of default
> value are better handled with the DEF argument.

Sounds a bit circular.  That just says that DEF
is a better default-value behavior.  Initial
input isn't the same as a default value.  The
behavior/effect is different.

> The only places where I can see it's useful is when all possible
> completions have a common prefix and that is given as initial-input
> (but then you only save one TAB) or with completing-read-multiple when it's
> highly likely that the user wants to use the defaults given as
> initial-input and just insert some more.  (completing-read-multiple
> doesn't explicitly state that INITIAL-INPUT is deprecated.)

The behavior of INITIAL-INPUT differs from that
of DEF.  That's enough to point to different uses.

Unless, that is, you can convince all that the
DEF behavior is always preferable - for all users,
all calls to `completing-read', and all contexts.