Re: Is there a command to auto-purge old eln-cache files?

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Is there a command to auto-purge old eln-cache files?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:37:43 -0400

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022, 1:30 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
> > Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 16:33:58 -0400
> >
> > I routinely update my emacs build from git and over time, and so I
> > collect hundreds of MBs of eln-cache files. Just looking at the
> > eln-cache dir names, it's not very evident which one is the latest one
> > (especially, from a tool call ncdu, I cannot tell which directories
> > should be safe to delete).
>
> If you keep only one Emacs executable for all those builds, and either
> delete the old ones or don't care whether they remain usable, then you
> can identify the only subdirectory under the eln-cache directory you
> need to keep by one of the following methods:

Thanks. I think I'll just add an rm -rf of the entire eln-cache directory
after each successful build of Emacs.

Define "old" for this purpose.

> E.g., I keep many old Emacs executables (it makes it easier to bisect
> bugs), so for me "old" means "belonging to an Emacs executable I
> removed".

For my use case, any emacs built before the last build is old. I'll have to
rethink that rm -rf strategy if I decide to maintain multiple major
versions of Emacs.

To add, it would be helpful to have an `eln-cache-purge` emacs command that
would delete the eln-cache directories only for the major.minor version of
the Emacs session from where that command is called.

Thanks.