Re: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 21:01:04 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

> Maybe author of that description could consider various use
> cases. That assumes that somebody is usig INITIAL-INPUT as
> replacement for DEF.
>
> It also assumes what is best for programmer, with "it is
> best to pass nil" -- but that is best for who?
> Maybe somebody who does not use it or has confusion with it.

Yes, make that whole function deprecated perhaps and write
a new one, one with fewer formal parameters and one that
doesn't need any "side notes" in its docstring ...

> Instead of deprecating 2 different functions because some
> people assume they are same, description shall be written so
> that there is no confusion what is DEF and what is
> INITIAL-INPUT.

You start, what is INITIAL-INPUT? We have only heard of one
use case (completion) and it isn't good enough.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal