Re: How to persist registers across sessions?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to persist registers across sessions?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 17:33:47 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-06-30 17:02]:
> > Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 15:50:36 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > If somebody tells me how to `read' window configuration then I can
> > provide function to save and load it.
> >
> > However, I do not know how to save/read #<window-configuration> as
> > object
> >
> > It looks like this:
> > (current-window-configuration) ⇒ #<window-configuration>
> >
> > That is not enough data.
>
> Any reason you are insisting on reinventing the wheel, when we already
> have desktop.el?  It does all that, and is ready to be used (I use it
> all the time).
>
> Is anything wrong with using desktop-save-mode?

For me that is so little useful. Imagine having 2-3 windows and
particular flow, but also other 100 buffers. User may wish to save
that visible window configuration and not all of the buffers
available inside of Emacs.

I would not call it reinventing the wheel as desktop-save is so much
complex in its operation. I do not use it for that reason.

Saving just few files related to windows on screen and the register of
its configuration could be simplifying solution.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/