Re: Making a function than can only be used interactively

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Making a function than can only be used interactively
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 16:35:47 -0400

> I could envisage a situation where someone wants to concentrate on the
> interactive parts, if taking care of non-interactive use would make the
> function difficult to maintain.  I am not sure that it will always be
> because of bad design.

Indeed, we have many such functions which have been designed
specifically for interactive use and the non-interactive use case has
simply not been considered.  It's not bad design.

And it doesn't require us to make it impossible to call those functions
non-interactively.

> I also say that it would be better to have declarations that are somewhat
> safer for the general elisp user as well.

Not sure what you mean.  Are you saying that (declare (interactive-only <foo>))
is not safe enough?  Can you expand on that?

        Stefan