Re: Change in 28.1 in opening a file from grep results on Windows

From: Pascal Quesseveur
Subject: Re: Change in 28.1 in opening a file from grep results on Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 18:56:59 +0200

>"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

  EZ> The reason for the change is described in bug#8035, which is even
  EZ> nastier than this one.  So we cannot possibly go back to the old code
  EZ> there.

Ok.

  EZ> It is IME unusual to use literal UNCs in serious development on
  EZ> MS-Windows, precisely because cmd.exe doesn't support that well, and
  EZ> various commands will fail depending on how you invoke them and what
  EZ> is the working directory when you do.  Wherever I saw networked drive
  EZ> used it was always via mapping them to a drive letter, and for a good
  EZ> reason.

  EZ> So I still think this is the right solution, not even a workaround,
  EZ> because the same problems will happen outside Emacs if you use cmd.exe
  EZ> as your shell.

When I use cmd, I follow the symbolic link and I don't get problems. I
use some IDEs which work fine also, the only problem is that regularly
they save the absolute path in the config files, but I can manage
that.

It's still not very consistent in Emacs. If I open a dired buffer on
the linked directory, and open a file from the dired buffer, its path
is that of the linked directory. If I open a file from the compilation
buffer its path is that of the target directory.

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pquessev@gmail.com