RE: [External] : Re: Placement of list within an interactive clause

From: carlmarcos
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Placement of list within an interactive clause
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 22:05:59 +0200 (CEST)

Jul 14, 2022, 22:52 by drew.adams@oracle.com:

>> > Maybe going through the "Introduction to Emacs Lisp" (see "Help =>
>> > More Manual => Introduction to Emacs Lisp" in the menu) will be helpful.
>>
>> Can you make clear what sections should I read to answer my question?
>>

> <unsolicited-advice>
>
> * Menu:
>
> * Lisp Lists::                  What are lists?
> * Run a Program::               Any list in Lisp is a program ready to run.
> * Making Errors::               Generating an error message.
> * Names & Definitions::         Names of symbols and function definitions.
> * Lisp Interpreter::            What the Lisp interpreter does.
> * Evaluation::                  Running a program.
> * Variables::                   Returning a value from a variable.
> * Arguments::                   Passing information to a function.
> * set & setq::                  Setting the value of a variable.
> * Summary::                     The major points.
> * Error Message Exercises::
>
> </unsolicited-advice>

The only thing I captured from re-reading all that was that something like
`(let' behaves like a function (special form).  The variable setting sets the
value but do not define any output.

But I also found that by default, a function in lisp returns the value of the
last expression evaluated as the return value.  Hence, the last expression in
the body of the `let' clause is the entity that is returned by `let'.