Re: Placement of list within an interactive clause

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Placement of list within an interactive clause
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 00:08:46 +0300

* carlmarcos@tutanota.com <carlmarcos@tutanota.com> [2022-07-15 22:55]:
> If with GET-ARGUMENT you use a command that calls the minibuffer,
> then calling the function in lisp code will ask the user for input.
> Something that a pure function call in elisp code does not normally
> do.

>From Emacs Lisp manual:

A “pure function” is a function which, in addition to having
no side effects, always returns the same value for the same combination
of arguments, regardless of external factors such as machine type or
system state.

I know what you mean.

However (read-from-minibuffer "Input: ") does not have side effects,
and returns same value for same combination of arguments. It is not a
command and cannot be, in the context of Emasc Lisp, called
interactively like with M-x -- and it is interacting with user.

1) There is no reason to have all functions "pure functions" just to
   satisfy who? Theorists? But I need practical use.

2) The definition which I found apply to many functions, it does not
   exclude user input. Does it? For me user input is argument to
   interactive function.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns