Re: Using Tramp from Lisp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Using Tramp from Lisp
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 11:43:20 +0200

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

Hi Jean,

> Michael, let me know if I can use Tramp from Lisp as easy for purpose to
> transfer file to remote server?

That is exactly the raison d'ĂȘtre of Tramp.

> I am using my own SCP and rsync based functions. Maybe it is not necessary if
> Tramp provides it.

No. Copying a file is (copy-file "/path1/source" "/path2/target") Doing
the same for a remote host, it is (copy-file "/path1/source"
"/scp:user@host:/path2/target")
That's all. In fact, for the mafority Lisp functions handling files, you
can use a file name in its remote syntax. copy-file is just an example.

Tramp supports many connection methods, besides "ssh" it also supports
"cp" and "rsync".

> And I like to specify username instead of using config files.

As shown in the example, it is possible. Perhaps you read the Tramp
manual, for example (info "(tramp)File name syntax")

> Jean

Best regards, Michael.