Re: Generality of defvar

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Generality of defvar
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:21:17 +0200

Le mer. 27 juil. 2022 à 14:52, carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> a écrit :

> --
>  Sent with Tutanota, enjoy secure & ad-free emails.
>

> Jul 27, 2022, 12:34 by incal@dataswamp.org:
>
> > carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> >
> >> (defun enable-error-diagnostics ()
> >>  "Enable error diagnostics with backtrace buffer.
> >> One can exit the debugger with the q command."
> >>

> > You can refer to keys in docstrings like this:
> >
> >  \\[forward-word]
> >
> > That way, it isn't hardcoded so if later changed/configured
> > it'll still show the right key.
> >
> How can I figure out what key to use in the docstring for exiting the
> backtrace buffer?

The function bound to 'q' is quit-window. But since this function doesn't
have a global binding, you need to tell the docstring to use the
appropriate keymap to look the binding up.

Something like

  "Enable error diagnostics with backtrace buffer.

\\<backtrace-mode-map> (note: this is the part telling emacs where to look
for the key)
One can exit the debugger with the `quit-window' command (bound to
\\[quit-window])."