Re: Setting up abbrev

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Setting up abbrev
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 13:39:22 +0200

uzibalqa wrote:

>> ;;; -- lexical-binding: t --
>>
>> ;; (kill-all-abbrevs)
>> (let ((write '(
>> ("lex" ";;; -- lexical-binding: t --")
>> ("sld" "sdl")
>> ("wierd" "weird")
>> )))
>> (define-abbrev-table 'global-abbrev-table write) )
>
> I see that you make a list of three elements, each of which
> is a list of two elements.

Well yes, but maybe it's better to think of that as data and
the number of elements are perhaps of no importance here.

> Had been using (sld" . "sdl") thing instead.

I know why it doesn't work then ...

Anyhow, the so-called dotted pair notation tells us that the
universal data structure actually isn't a list, but a pair!
Only a pair is a list as well ...

In practice - here, someone maybe disagrees? - but in my
experience I don't see why that should be used ...

And I don't know why it was ever essential to the point it
even got to symbolize Lisp on a couple of occasions?

Maybe that box diagram with arrows to make up a cons cell
link-list-fragment just looked neat and interesting ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal