RE: [External] : Re: Setting up abbrev

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Setting up abbrev
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 16:36:23 +0000

> >> Only a pair is a list as well ...
> >
> > Yes.  But a list isn't a pair. ;-)
>
> Every pair is a list but every list isn't a pair ...

                           not every list is a pair

"Not every X is" = "some X isn't" != "every X isn't"

> Well, maybe one can think of a pair without order, i.e.
> a set of two items?
>
> The _ordered_ pair is the universal data structure that can
> express anything then. The list is equally universal but the
> ordered pair is the minimal working example, to speak with the
> LaTeX guys ...

Yes, ordered pair.  That's a cons.

> > As for the (a . b) _notation_: Why not? JSON uses `:'.
> > Prolog uses `|'. Doesn't matter much what notation you
> > choose. OOPs often use a dot notation for method
> > application. Six of one; half a dozen of another...
>
> Okay, but I still don't understand the benefit of using it in
> practice compared to the list (a b)?

Do you mean use the _notation_?  I guess you instead
mean use a dotted list: a list whose last cdr is a
non-nil atom.

If so, the answer is that in general you do want to
use a true/proper list (last cdr is nil), and NOT a
dotted list.  For many reasons, not least of which
is using a function that needs to traverse all list
elements (e.g. `length', mapping/sequence functions).

You can use a dotted list in these cases:

1. You want to save conses (not create so many), in
a context where you're not going to be needing to
use the cons as a list (mapping etc.), or a context
where you know you'll only ever want an atom cdr.

2. You want/need, in effect, to have a backwards
key-value pair, (list-value . atom-key).  You have
a list to use for most purposes (ignoring the last
cdr), and you have an atom (the cdr) for a few rare
purposes, as a kind of label for the list.

#2 is usually the result of trying to adapt to
legacy code that expects to treat just a list (and
doesn't need to follow it to its end).  IOW, #2 is
typically an ugly hack.  For new code you'd instead
just put the atom first: (atom-key . list-value).