Re: Abbrev for shorthand purposes

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: Abbrev for shorthand purposes
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:28:05 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, August 11th, 2022 at 3:43 AM, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me [2022-08-11 00:43]:
>
> > > Purpose of abbrevs was not to use them programmatically, but to have
> > > it handy to quickly add them while writing text.
> >
> > I am using them programmatically because I want to implement a specific
> > scheme for short writing.
>

> You can implement it rather by thinking and using Emacs built-in
> functions. You are inserting them into parenthesis, but you can insert them
> into
> parenthesises by using built in Emacs functions as well, without
> worries.
>
> Your file will be saved. You may reuse the information.
>
> > Yes I can complete the word "sentimental", but am struggling on how the
> > word can then be
> > changed to "s--l".
>

> For that you do following:
>
> - write s--l
>
> - put cursor after s--l
>
> - Press C-2 C-x a g
>
> This is because C-2 or C-u 2 is equivalent of going 2 words back, as
> s--l probably looks as 2 words to Emacs because of dashes.
>
> - insert "sentimental"
>
> - when you write sentimental it will expand into s--l
>
> That method is faster.

Hi Jean, I need the functionality for use with my group, meaning that the list
of words and substitutions have to be done programatically, so I can send them
the
`.el` file.

What I would like to have is completion of tho word "sentimental", so writing
"sentim" will
complete it like company-mode does.  Then the more difficult task of replacing
with the
shortened version (which I currently do with abbrev, user just introduces space
just like writing
and the replacement happens).  People would be writing prose and do not want
them have to use
key binding input for every word they write.