Re: unable to kill-emacs due to failure to save buffers (in connection w

From: Martin Steffen
Subject: Re: unable to kill-emacs due to failure to save buffers (in connection with tramp)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 15:19:58 +0200

    >> (:variable #29# :persist-file
    >> "d9/6cedfd-05fd-4dc3-8542-ee0bb93ac4b3" :path
    >> "/scp:<login>@192.168.x.x:/var/services/homes/mobileorg/test.org"
    >> :inode 11537641 :hash "672132fcd377562aa49d8dbd0044f1c4")

    Stefan> This suggests that the problem is not in Tramp but in
    Stefan> `org-persist` (or in your use of it), since it seems to be
    Stefan> configured to save the value of some variable (not shown
    Stefan> here) into your remote server, and org-persist probably
    Stefan> tries to save this variable before exiting Emacs.

That's a plausible analysis. I was originally pointing towards Tramp, as
the *Messages* showed things like that

> Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh -l <login> -e none 192.168.x.x’

i.e., since it's about ``remote'' files, it's tramp that tries to do
it, but the saving seems, as you said, be triggered by ``persist''.

I will look into that. I was so far not aware that I somehow use
org-persist (or what its purpose is). I definitely use a lot of
org-packages, and I don't load or require org-persist. The only
mentioning of "persist" in my org-adaptations is

(setq org-clock-persist t)
(org-clock-persistence-insinuate)

(though I can't remember why exactly I set that, seems also not
immediately related to tramp, more about logging).

Anyway, thanks for directing me to better also look into ``persist''.

Martin