Re: Customising display-fill-column-indicator-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Customising display-fill-column-indicator-mode
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 09:58:39 +0300

> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 08:48:19 +0200 (CEST)
> From: wilnerthomas@tutanota.com
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Aug 25, 2022, 06:31 by eliz@gnu.org:
>
> > I didn't decline anything.  You are probably confusing me with someone
> > else.
> >

> Assuming you are right.
>
> I have done
>
>      (setq display-fill-column-indicator t)
>
>      (setq display-fill-column-indicator-character ?\u2503)
>
>      (set-face-foreground 'fill-column-indicator "green")
>
>      (global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode)

This is not the Customize interface.  You are obviously not proficient
enough with Emacs Lisp, so my suggestion was to use "M-x customize-variable"
instead:

> > With the customize interface, you just type the character, for example
> > using "C-x 8 RET" followed by the character's codepoint in hex.

To customize the colors of the fill-column-indicator face, use the
command "M-x customize-face".

> >> Refusing to follow any accessible criteria is also a disservice to
> >> many users.
> >>

> > I didn't refuse anything.
> >
> Accepting you are right about this one as well.  Have you seen how the
> indicator
> character looks like on a dark theme like modus-vivendi?

Feel free to submit a bug report against that theme: it evidently
should define distinct colors for fill-column-indicator face.  Or you
could customize that face yourself, using "M-x customize-face".