Re: Customising display-fill-column-indicator-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Customising display-fill-column-indicator-mode
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 10:46:43 +0300

> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 07:24:47 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > This is not the Customize interface. You are obviously not proficient
> > enough with Emacs Lisp, so my suggestion was to use "M-x customize-variable"
> > instead:
>
> I am working on functionalities in elisp files.

Customization of Emacs for your needs doesn't have to be done in Lisp,
and doesn't usually require any programming at all.

> Just calling me not proficient with emacs and saying adios is very
> strange.

There was no adios in what I wrote.  I proposed to use a more
user-friendly customization interface, which should work around the
obstacles you had.  There's nothing strange in suggesting easier ways
of doing what you want; in some quarters it's considered good help.

How to specify characters in Emacs Lisp is very basic.  If you want to
do this customization in Lisp, I suggest to read the "Character Codes"
node in the ELisp manual, it explains those basics.  But your attempt
to do this in Lisp has more problems than just specifying characters,
so my suggestion is still to use the Customize interface, it will get
you to the goal faster and with fewer problems.

> > Feel free to submit a bug report against that theme: it evidently
> > should define distinct colors for fill-column-indicator face. Or you
> > could customize that face yourself, using "M-x customize-face".
>
> It would be a good thing to fix.  It is the origin of my problem.  Was not
> expecting having to delve into the indicator size and character.  Just wanted
> to test the indicator feature and get to an opinion of it.

It is not possible to have defaults that suit everyone.  Especially if
you load non-default themes.