Re: cdlatex-mode in emacs

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: cdlatex-mode in emacs
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:39:50 +0200

On 25/08/2022 12:41, uzibalqa wrote:
------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, August 25th, 2022 at 8:08 AM, Thibaut Verron
<thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:

On 25/08/2022 08:53, wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs

Aug 25, 2022, 06:33 by eliz@gnu.org:

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 06:20:09 +0000
From: uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 03:20:04 +0000
From: uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me

Does anybody know when cdlatex-mode was introduced into Emacs? I am using Emacs
27.2
There's no cdlatex-mode in Emacs, only org-cdlatex-mode.
Is there texmathp.el in emacs, which is a Gnu Package.
No, not in Emacs.
It is part of AUCTeX which is a Gnu Package. It comes with Emacs Support for
writing
Latex Files. Could the functionality be included in Emacs. cdlatex-mode is
useful for
rapid writing latex templates and symbols rapidly.

Could improve using tex-mode and latex-mode immensely in Emacs.

AUCTeX is on GNU Elpa, and cdlatex is on NonGNU Elpa, so both can be
directly installed with the package manager. In my opinion, it is the
right place for such packages, rather than emacs core: this way they can
release new versions without having to wait for the emacs release cycle.
(See: org-mode)

tex-mode and latex-mode are extremely basic modes in comparison, I don't
know anybody using them. And it's unfortunate that they preempted the
tex- and latex- namespaces, forcing AUCTeX to capitalize its mode names
and variables -- but I digress.
I agree with your last evaluation Thibaut. tex-mode and latex-mode are
extremely basic modes.  Because (as you state) almost nobody using them,
they should be beefed up using ideas from texmathp.el and cdlatex.  With
the useful functionalities incorporated, emacs would not need to always
pick up on every release of those packages.  But users can get them seperately
for added functionality if they wish.

But what would be the advantage of doing that? Both packages are available on the "official" repository for emacs packages, and can be installed in a matter of seconds.

Right now the purpose of each package is clear: built-in basic support, auctex for advanced IDE-like features, cdlatex for quick math insertion. (Note that cdlatex is a minor mode, and can be used to insert maths in any emacs buffer.)

I encourage that tex-mode and latex-mode stop being intertwined together, but
developed seperately.  The syntax is so different that they produce choas when
all functionality is put in a single file.

The file tex-mode.el which implements basic support for both tex, latex and doctex is less than 4000 lines long. The syntax may be superficially different, but a lot of concepts are common between the different languages of the family. Plus, one gets support for tex syntax in latex documents for free.

AUCTeX, too, builds support for latex on top of the support for tex.

Best wishes,

Thibaut