Re: cdlatex-mode in emacs

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: cdlatex-mode in emacs
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 12:03:14 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, August 25th, 2022 at 11:39 AM, Thibaut Verron
<thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25/08/2022 12:41, uzibalqa wrote:

Emacs should have good built-in support for all language and hypertext modes it
supports.  cdlatex was made because tex-mode and latex-mode are very frustrating
to do serious work and be productive with them.  cdlatex does have problems, and
Emacs Maintainers are capable of doing a better job than relying just on the
work
of one person.

> Right now the purpose of each package is clear: built-in basic support,
> auctex for advanced IDE-like features, cdlatex for quick math insertion.
> (Note that cdlatex is a minor mode, and can be used to insert maths in
> any emacs buffer.)
>
> > I encourage that tex-mode and latex-mode stop being intertwined together,
> > but
> > developed seperately. The syntax is so different that they produce choas
> > when
> > all functionality is put in a single file.
>

> The file tex-mode.el which implements basic support for both tex, latex
> and doctex is less than 4000 lines long. The syntax may be superficially
> different, but a lot of concepts are common between the different
> languages of the family. Plus, one gets support for tex syntax in latex
> documents for free.
>
> AUCTeX, too, builds support for latex on top of the support for tex.
>
> Best wishes,
> Thibaut

Concept that are exactly common should be moved out in a separate files.
tex-mode, latex-mode, etc, can call them.  Better to have a number of smaller
files but with a well organised design.