Re: Error report - Selection owner couldn’t convert: STRING

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Error report - Selection owner couldn’t convert: STRING
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 09:35:11 +0800

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble09.plus.com> writes:

> I have just rebuilt emacs and started it up, and when trying to open
> an Imenu on an org-mode file, emacs shows in the minibuffer and in
> *Messages* it shows as 'Selection owner couldn’t convert: STRING'!
>
> And it seems that any item in the menu bar is still locked against me!
>
> How then can I get back my old method of working using 'Imenu' within
> org-mode please?

Please find out what is calling `x-get-selection-internal' when you open
the Imenu.

Then, find out what program owns the selection and why we are not
reading the STRING data correctly, by sending the debug output after
adding this line to the top of xselect.c:

  #define TRACE_SELECTION

(Also, this should be sent to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.)