Re: Question about customising faces

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Question about customising faces
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:07:41 +0200

On Mon, Aug 29 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> The call with FRAME nil should have been enough.  And in my testing,
> it is: it sets the attributes for both the first and the subsequent
> frames.

I just tried with emacs -Q, executing only those `set-face-attribute` calls and
the problem persists. I need to execute both sets in order to get it to work.

Note that the distinction isn't really initial frame vs. subsequent frames.
Rather, it's frames created before executing the calls to `set-face-attributes`
and after executing those calls.

I'm assuming that this is the case mentioned in the doc string of
set-face-attribute:

"[...] to reset the value
of some attribute to ‘unspecified’ in a way that overrides the
non-‘unspecified’ value defined by the face’s spec in ‘defface’,
for new frames, you must explicitly call this function with FRAME
set to t and the attribute’s value set to ‘unspecified’; just
using FRAME of nil will not affect new frames in this case.to reset the value

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments