Re: Rainbow-delimiters highlighting { and } for tex and latex

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Rainbow-delimiters highlighting { and } for tex and latex
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 17:02:31 +0200

> Sent: Friday, September 09, 2022 at 1:58 AM
> From: "Alessandro Bertulli" <alessandro.bertulli96@gmail.com>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, wilnerthomas@tutanota.com,
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Rainbow-delimiters highlighting { and } for tex and latex
>

> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > The plan would be to integrate the functionality of AUCTeX into tex-mode
> > and latex-mode, even though there can be a core AUCTeX file.  The problems
> > associated with the separate functionality has been discussed with Carsten
> > Dominik about his "cdlatex" rapid tools.  There is agreement on the need
> > for thinking a new scheme through.
>
> Do you mind providing a quick recap? Is cdlatex going to become part of
> AUCTeX? Or vanilla Emacs?

In summary, to take out the emacs setup away from cdlatex and auctex,
and make a self consistent package that removes the current dependencies.

Then either incorporate in tex-mode and latex-mode, or have a switch that
enables extended tools found in auctex and cdlatex.

> >> I agree, but I guess the point is to not break compatibility with old
> >> codebases. I wonder if defining some aliases would work tho.
> >
> > I would say that users expect emacs to honour the contents of
> > auto-mode-alist.
>
> Wait, what do you mean? Maybe I haven't made myself clear: I was
> thinking of defining an alias, say, `auctex-mode`, so that configuration
> for it can be easily tell apart from latex-mode. Actually, I don't know,
> is it possible to do so in Emacs-lisp?

As all these tools are part of Gnu, it would be more suitable to integrate
all the tex and latex functionality in simple way within emacs.  Other major
modes do not work in confusing ways like tex and latex.  There is good
functionality in the auctex and cdlatex modes for emacs that a least the core
should be put in just a single mode.

> > There is a solution but is very time consuming to realise what is happening.
> > Especially for users who rely on many tools and packages.
>
> You meank, a solution to this specific problem, or a solution to the
> naming confusion?

A solution to the naming confusion as it is not quite clear what emacs does
behind the scenes if you are a user.