Re: Observing lags or never ending processes

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Observing lags or never ending processes
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 15:36:02 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-09-11 10:10]:
> What do you mean by "never ending processes or lags"?  Please describe
> in more detail what you do and what you see.  Also what version of
> Emacs is that.

Version is GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.17.6, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2022-09-06, Repository revision:
 eaca6378d2c4b94bc70a7979642502a80bfacd11

And I observe that since months.

Basically on invokation of a command, something starts happening in
background, preventing command to run straight, and I know that it
would kind of finish execution and my command would run, but it takes
long time. Almost always I interrupt it with C-g multiple times, then
I try again.

It can also happen during writing or normal operations. I am watching
CPU load, so I see CPU load increasing.

Just before minutes, I was doing M-% replacement and then it finds one
term, I answer with `y' and then it finds another one, and so on, then
in middle of that all findings, then something starts in background,
preventing me to do the work.

My timers:

       -1d 23h 59m 51.6s           1m battery-update-handler
       -1d 23h 59m 51.9s         5.0s proced-auto-update-timer
       -1d 23h 59m 59.1s            - undo-auto--boundary-timer
              26.9s           1m display-time-event-handler
           2m 51.6s           5m persistent-scratch-save
           2m 53.7s           5m savehist-autosave
           2m 54.0s           1h url-cookie-write-file
   *           0.1s            t show-paren-function
   *           0.5s      :repeat blink-cursor-start
   *           0.5s            t #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode
0x12c5e160b85c7bfa> [jit-lock--antiblink-grace-timer jit-lock-context-fontify])
   *           1.0s            t pabbrev-short-idle-timer
   *           1.0s            t which-key--update
   *           5.0s            t pabbrev-idle-timer-function

I see that pabbrev timers are there even if global-pabbrev-mode is
off, maybe turning off that mode should remove timers as well.

Maybe it is some of them. I will try turning them off one by one
during longer periods to observe and maybe find that out.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/