Re: Remove auctex from emacs

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Remove auctex from emacs
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:16:59 +0200

On 2022-09-12, at 12:01, uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> wrote:

> [...]

Not sure what do you mean.  Worked for me for well over a decade.
I assume it might bother you that it doesn't seem to have an entry in
`auto-mode-alist' – but that makes sense given that the same file name
pattern ("\\.tex$") corresponds to several modes (plain
TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt/possible others, like AMSTeX).  You could argue that
there should be one major AUCTeX mode and plain TeX/LaTeX/etc. minor
modes – but it is what it is, and I guess it's way too late to change
that.

Probably `magic-mode-alist' could help – but I have a hunch that it's
more recent than AUCTeX' mechanism for major mode selection.  (It was
defined in Emacs 22.1 – I'm 99% sure AUCTeX was around much earlier.
I seem to vaguely recollect the first Emacs version I used to be 21
(±1), and I almost certainly attended a presentation about AUCTeX before
I even used Emacs.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski