Re: highlighting one buffer according to another

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: highlighting one buffer according to another
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 23:18:49 -0400

> it captures the diff, its contents, from any other buffer.  suppose
> the buffer it captures from is called orig.  it could be magit or
> anything else.  and suppose the name of the buffer with special gutter
> characters is mydiff.

I'm afraid your description is a bit too vague for me to be able to give
you much advice.

How do the original (say diff-mode) buffer and your mydiff buffer differ
(or how are they related)?
Is `mydiff` generated from `diff`?
What do you mean by "gutter"?

> so part of the problem is finding the corresponding line in orig for
> each line in mydiff,

If `mydiff` is generated from `diff`, presumably you can get this info
by remembering this original mapping (e.g. adding text-properties in
`mydiff` that point to the origin, so that as you modify `mydiff`, the
origin info is preserved).

        Stefan