Re: Display info nodes names in tabs.

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Display info nodes names in tabs.
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 15:20:58 +0200

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     Michael> Would be nice, yes.  Do you use the tab-bar or the tab-line?
>
> See `tab-bar-tab-name-function' and `tab-line-tab-name-function', both
> of which allow you to write custom functions.

The problem with `tab-line-tab-name-function' (I guess with
`tab-bar-tab-name-function' too, but I didn't check) is that it is not
called often enough - because of the tab-line cache.  The tab-line-cache
key never changes/ gets invalid for Info buffers (no tracked parameter
ever changes while you browse), so the tab name is never refreshed.  I
need to invalidate the cache explicitly to make it work, e.g. with a
very ugly hack like this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-variable-watcher
 'mode-line-buffer-identification
 (defun my-Info-mode-line-buffer-identification-watcher
     (_symbol _newval _operation where)
   (when (and (eq where (current-buffer))
              (derived-mode-p 'Info-mode))
     (set-window-parameter nil 'tab-line-cache nil))))
#+end_src

Michael.