[SOLVED] Re: Need `format' with position numbers

From: Jean Louis
Subject: [SOLVED] Re: Need `format' with position numbers
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:09:55 +0300

* Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> [2022-09-16 02:00]:
> In Lisp and the command `format' does not have positioning number,
> order of arguments is static:
>
> (format "%s %s %s" name link description)
>
> and I would like to have positioning such as in PostgreSQL:
>
> "WHERE link = $2 AND name = $1" name link
>
> This is because arbitrary formats for command `format' may come in the
> system I am building, it is not predictable how users would like to
> place name, link, description in various markup languages.
>
> Maybe there exists different `format' command that uses position
> numbers in some package?

I have solved it by using my package:

RCD Template Interpolation System for Emacs:
https://hyperscope.link/3/7/1/3/3/RCD-Template-Interpolation-System-for-Emacs.html

Like this:

(defun wrs-markup-type-link (id link &optional name description)
  "Return LINK formatted by markup type ID.

Optional NAME and DESCRIPTION."
  (let ((format (rcd-db-table-markuptypes-link-format id)))
    (rcd-dlet ((rcd::name name)
               (rcd::link link)
               (rcd::description description))
      (rcd-template-eval format))))

and by having `format' as template, something like this:

⟦ (cond (rcd::description (format "[%s](%s \"%s\") - %s" rcd::name rcd::link
rcd::name rcd::description))
        (rcd::name (format "[%s](%s \"%s\")" rcd::name rcd::link rcd::name))
        (t (format "<%s>" rcd::link))) ⟧
--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns