Re: Remove auctex from emacs

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: Remove auctex from emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 22:36:58 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, September 20th, 2022 at 4:29 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
wrote:

> > Correct, that it disregards `auto-mode-alist'.

> > As there can be many modes, one mode should not take over any other mode.
>

> I didn't understand this.

> > This is where we disagree. There is never a time to say it is too late to
> > change.
> > When it is time to change, the change should be made to happen.

> Well, it is probably a major overhaul of the whole codebase. Which
> means you need substantial effort for little gain (in the sense that
> most users - or so I think - are satisfied with the current approach).
> Such major changes are much easier when the codebase is young, hence my
> "too late" comment.

Have seen that some things have started to happen.  Some possibilities
for organisation without a full blown major overhaul.  But which could
see some breakages.

> Perhaps if you make a compelling argument for such a change on the
> AUCTeX mailing list, possibly volunteering to help with that effort, you
> might succeed. Personally, I think that the time would be better spent
> elsewhere, but this may be because I didn't think about this issue
> deeply enough and cannot see too many disadvantages of the status quo.
> Change my mind! ;-)

There exists the intention to work on things.  But was looking forward to
some focused adjustments from others who would be aware of the details
and what would be considered reasonable to clean up.