Re: Question about ELPA - package eev not updated from upstream

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Question about ELPA - package eev not updated from upstream
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 23:10:39 -0400

Felix Dietrich [2022-09-28 20:11:54] wrote:
> Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:
>> Eduardo Ochs [2022-09-25 21:45:04] wrote:
>>
>>> usually when I update the file eev.el in the git repository of eev
>>> ELPA notices that, and it updates the version of eev in ELPA in at
>>> most 24 hours... but this time this didn't happen.
>>>
>>> Should I look for error messages? Where?
>>
>> `help-gnu-emacs` is a mailing-list for Emacs users, who can't really
>> help you.
>
> The home page of <https://elpa.gnu.org/> states:
>
> #+begin_quote
> - If you need help, you could try the help-gnu-emacs mailing list.
> - For general inquiries, please contact the emacs-devel mailing list.
> #+end_quote
>
> I am not sure how “help” and “general inquiries” are delineated.
> Anyway, is this information not correct?

Its neither incorrect nor very precise, indeed.
`help-gnu-emacs` is a mailing list where Emacs *users* are expected to
lurk and help each other.
`emacs-devel` is where Emacs developers are expected to be found.

When your problem can/should be solved by editing your init file and/or
installing packages, `help-gnu-emacs`  is the right place.  When your
problem can be fixed only by changing Emacs itself or some part of
Emacs's infrastructure, `emacs-devel` (or `bug-gnu-emacs`) is the
right place.

        Stefan