Re: Emacs uses "global" compiler instead of embedded

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs uses "global" compiler instead of embedded
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:26:51 +0300

> From: Bartosz Bubak <bartosz.bubak@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:02:39 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> >> That's what I'm explaining from the beginning, I have only one MinGW
> >> instance, in chocolatey.
> >> The second is installed and configured automatically by the emacs
> installer
> >> and that is what emacs should use.
> >> Not my "main" in the system.
>
> > Didn't you say that if you remove the GCC installation in
> > C:\Program Files\Emacs\emacs-28.2\, everything starts working?
>
> No, I removed my MinGW installation, then everything works fine.

What is "your MinGW installation" in this context?  Is it what came
with Emacs, or is it what was installed from chocolatey?  They are
both "MinGW" (AFAIU), so what you say is ambiguous.

> > AFAIU, it isn't Emacs that looks for GCC, it's libgccjit DLL.  So
> >maybe just removing libgccjit DLL that came with Emacs will solve your
> > problem.
>
> I tried it, just for the test. It didn't change anything.

What exactly did you try, and how did it "not change anything"?

Does Emacs succeed in loading libgccjit you have from chocolatey, when
you remove the DLL that came with Emacs?  If not, does the chocolatey
libgccjit DLL live in some directory on PATH?

> As you mentioned on Reddit, the installer doesn't ask for anything and
> doesn't let you NOT install local gcc.

But if removing the local GCC (which is what? the one that came with
Emacs?) doesn't leave you with Emacs that can natively-compile,
there's a larger problem here, one that I don't yet understand.

What version of GCC did you install from chocolatey?  What does
"gcc --version" there say?