Re: Cannot look-up eln

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cannot look-up eln
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 19:38:48 +0300

> Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 10:56:46 -0400
> From: Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net>
>
> I get an error that I suspect occurred after I upgraded my Linux
> system to testing. The version of emacs I'm now running is 1:28.1+1-3
>
> When I start emacs this error message is displayed:
>
>   Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found
>   for /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc Disable showing Disable logging
>
> In my .emacs there is:
>
>   (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/")
>    (load-library "ibus.elc")
>
> And the ~/.emacs.d/elisp/ibus.elc file does exist

Re-read the warning message: it complains about the "source file",
which is ibus.el, not ibus.elc.  Do you have that file, and if so, is
it on load-path?

> What is eln? Fedora Enterprise Linux Next?

The *.eln files are *.el files compiled to native (a.k.a. "machine")
code.  They make Emacs work faster.

> If so, I don't want it. If I click "Disable showing" in the warning
> message will it disable all warnings or just this one?

Only the warnings of this kind, i.e. those that come from the attempt
to find the *.el files in order to verify the *.eln files before they
are loaded into Emacs.