RE: [External] : view-remove-frame-by-deleting ignored?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : view-remove-frame-by-deleting ignored?
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 21:29:29 +0000

> Try customizing option `frame-auto-hide-function'
> to `delete-frame' instead of the default value
> of `iconify-frame'.
>
> Yes, it's too bad that this option isn't more
> easily discoverable.  Perhaps it should be
> mentioned in the doc string of
> `view-remove-frame-by-deleting'?  Perhaps it
> should be mentioned in doc strings of other
> view-mode thingies?

If you check the binding of `q' in view-mode it
tells you it's bound to `View-quit'.  But nothing
in that function's doc string gives you a hint
that option can be used to delete the frame if
the file being viewed is alone in its frame.

It's `quit-restore-window' that uses the option,
and so ends up deleting the frame.  And that's
called by `quit-window', which is called by
`View-quit'.

There's no top-level, easy way for a user to
know this, I think.  The doc of view-mode should
definitely point it out better, IMO.