Re: Running emacs without any customisation

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Running emacs without any customisation
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 01:40:06 +0200

Thibaut Verron wrote:

> Regardless, the site lisp should not cause emacs to fail to
> start or start with a black screen. To test it, you can run
> emacs without your config but with most site-lisp with emacs
> -q.

Yes, -Q is '-q --no-site-file --no-splash', see emacs(1).

But debugging init files without _any_ configuration or basic
packages loaded is often painful, both when you know what you
look for and when you don't, so it is better to retain some
control of your .emacs and disable it little by little in
a hopefully intelligent way rather than just use -q or -Q.

Or you can use -Q first, "okay, it's not you, it's me", and
then use more granular methods ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal