autorepeat behavior in emacs 28.2 running in WSL

From: cabbage
Subject: autorepeat behavior in emacs 28.2 running in WSL
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 00:51:39 -0000

When I would hold down a key for probably 660 ms it would repeat for many
minutes making emacs unresponsive. I finally tried xset r off and now, holding
down a key still autorepeats, but doesn't make emacs unresponsive.

Where does that come from? I might want the autorepeat behavior at some point.
I'd like to be able to restore it in X and not have emacs go bananas.