File-local and directory-local variable thoughts

From: Perry Smith
Subject: File-local and directory-local variable thoughts
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 17:31:44 -0500

In the past, I wanted to set rspec-spec-command in a .dir-locals.el file but
when I did, I got the question if I wanted to apply the list every time I
loaded a file or reloaded a file or reloaded a directory.

I download a lot of gunk from the internet.  Mostly source code to help me
understand things.  So… I really don’t want to globally say “yes, it is safe to
set this variable”.  What I’d prefer to say is “Yes, I want to set this
variable to this value within this directory (or file).

So how about keeping a directory (or file) to hash list?  The hash would be for
the entire .dir-locals.el file and the equivalent for file local variables.

Then, as a first check, if the directory / hash pair is found, it is deemed
trust worthy and processed.  Else, the current implementation is used perhaps
with the alteration that the ‘!’ and ‘I’ options are always presented and when
the ‘!’ Is given, it will add the appropriate directory / hash to the list.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

p.s. I halfway expect someone to see “Oh… that’s the blah dirs local package
here…” which is partly why I’m asking.