Re: Lisp error on function :documentation

From: Heime
Subject: Re: Lisp error on function :documentation
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 04:30:51 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Sunday, October 16th, 2022 at 4:12 AM, Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com writes:
>
> > Yielded the following. That's it right ?
>

> Depends on where you put the missing closing paren. In the correct
> version the `put' statement is not part of the defun.

I actually introduced the "put" command inside the function after the
initial docstring.  And it did work.

> > But I see that the original docstring gets deleted. Any way to avoid
> > this and be able to append to the initial docstring?
>

> Yes - see `pcase' for example, but that requires a bit of work - and
> that stuff is also not documented. One can learn it by reading the
> examples in the sources. Not totally trivial, unfortunately.
>
> Or maybe someone has added some nicer solution in the meantime? - I
> don't recall.
>
> Michael.

It would be useful to append another string variable to the initial
docstring inside the function.  Avoids functions with long docstring
parts.

You were correct about the lexical binding part.

I had

;; file.el
;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-

Does not seem the right way to call "lexical-binding".

Putting on the first line got the documentation correct.

;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-

But, perhaps it is not so good to include this undocumented feature.