Re: [External] : Running emacs without any customisation

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Running emacs without any customisation
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 07:57:43 +0300

* uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> [2022-10-14 15:38]:
> Have not setup resources myself, just had my init file, which now in broken.
> With the x-resources setup, I cannot see the text in the modeline.  It may
> be something emacs relies on when there is no init file.  But think for a
> moment the situation where the x-resources are not beneficial for the user
> for a particular program.  Because I cannot see from where the x resources
> settings are coming from, I claimed those settings cannot be fully trusted
> to produce a workable emacs session.  Could emacs have a set of init files
> users can use in cases where they encounter problems and the x resources
> settings are not suitable for some particular emacs feature?

If I remember well, I was using some fully free distributions endorsed
by FSF and had some distributions had problems starting Emacs by
default. Problem is that I do not remember which one exactly. I have
used several of them. Maybe it was in Trisquel, maybe in Hyperbola.

One time there was some Xresource default set by distribution
maintainers, and other time it was some Mate or Gnome settings messing
almost invisibly with user defaults.

Starting Emacs was not possible unless I have written single line of
settings.

It may not be that X resources are disturbing you, remove them. And
also see what is in /etc/X11/ if anything.

It may be that Mate or Gnome settings are such.

Questions:
----------

1. Which desktop environment do you use? Try changing it, I use IceWM
   window manager for speed as I can't use slow and bloated Gnome,
   Mate, KDE, etc. So tell me about it first. Because the desktop
   environment alone may be putting settings that prevent Emacs from
   starting. I have multi user networked computer, so I had to put
   those settings for multiple users, not just me. But then I changed
   distribution and Emacs is starting well now in Parabola, but I
   don't use default anyway.

   Change to some simple window manager.

2. Start Emacs from command line and make screenshot.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman