Re: Morally equivalent

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Morally equivalent
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 02:00:54 +0200

> Sent: Monday, October 17, 2022 at 11:32 AM
> From: "Michael Heerdegen" <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Morally equivalent
>
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > The problem was about the wording, if it turns out Stefan wrote it, then
> > he is not above anybody else.  The problem is that in some important ways,
> > things are not precise.
>
> Nothing in human language is precise.  For me it was precise enough to
> understand the meaning perfectly.
>
> > And users do not like that.
>
> I liked it.  Most people like it much less when Stefan tries to be more
> precise.
>
> Honestly, the only problem with that wording is that it might make
> people wonder whether it is some sort of technical term, which it is not
> really, so it can potentially confuse people.
>
> Michael.

When people start wondering whether something is a technical term, then it is a
big problem.  Stefan like all of us, should learn from his mistakes.  When
we start getting fuzzy on the technical, I hit the alarm bells.

Nobody can deny that they have been influenced by their family, society,
whatever
kind of work practices.  I rise above that, by not being influenced by the
atmosphere.  There was a discussion years ago about jokes in code.  We agreed
that jokes were fine when they do not interfere with the technical.  I have
seen some honest comments in the code, quite enlightening.