Re: Lisp error on function :documentation

From: Heime
Subject: Re: Lisp error on function :documentation
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 01:01:01 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Monday, October 17th, 2022 at 12:15 AM, Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com writes:
>
> > Then let us hope some genius crops up and writes a solution that solves
> > the impasse.
>

> BTW, what Stefan had sent was more or less the most perfect example one
> can give. You can use it as a template. You would have to get familiar
> with generic functions, however.
>
> Michael.

Yes.  Still, someone commented that being undocumented, it is not really
suitable for use.

Then I started doing

(defvar details "Some details here")

(defun navscan ()

   (put 'navscan 'function-documentation

      (concat "Set style about possible.\n\n" details))

Which seems not good either, as I picked up from the discussion.

Thusly the only real solution is to call the "(put" part after
defining the function.

Would appreciate if people answer clearly.

Being able to append a details string to the function documentation
at the position where the documentation is supposed to be located (after
the function name declaration), would be valuable in following the code better.