Re: Extending emacs convention for first line

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Extending emacs convention for first line
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 21:33:10 -0400

Christopher Dimech [2022-10-17 21:40:14] wrote:
> Emacs convention states that the format for the first line is
> ;;; filename --- description  -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-
>
> Because at the times one does notice longer filenames and descriptions,
> it would be favorable if the convention would be extended to handle longer
> filenames and descriptions.
>
> For instance, using ;;; to distinguish, with "lexical-binding" still written
> first.
>
> ;;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-
>
> ;;; filename
>
> ;;; description
>
> Or some other way that would work nicely.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I'll note that I hope we can
get rid of the `-*- lexical-binding: t -*-` cookie in the not too
distant future.

I think we're slowly working our way up to the point where we can change
the default to t such that the cookie will be needed only (in the form
`-*- lexical-binding: nil -*-`) for those files still using the old
dynbound dialect of ELisp.

        Stefan