Re: Morally equivalent

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Morally equivalent
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 18:50:35 +0200

> Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2022 at 2:11 AM
> From: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Morally equivalent
>
> > From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> > Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 10:39:49 +0800
> >
> > How did a simple phrase generate so much noise on this list?
>
> The noise level on this (and not only this) list is inversely
> proportional to the simplicity of the issue.

It customarily stems from myself understanding the OP, and
criticism on my part is taken as a confrontation by some.
As are criticisms between OPs and readers on the list.
Nevertheless, after some wrangling, some guidance has resulted
in positive changes (e.g. better handling of tex, plan for org-mode
to generate documentation).  But other problems could persist for a
very long time.  For instance, the difficulties originating from the
fact that info uses tex as the fundamental engine,  rather than
progressing to a system powered by a latex3 engine.

Although this particular solution was simple, I wonder how a change
on description considered unclear to some users garnered so much
resistance.  The fear of losing face could at times trample the need
for some changes, even when minor.

Although the running of the technical admin part does progress
things, some responses are thumbed as others (including myself)
am not seen doing much technical work on emacs.  At intervals someone
screams about wanting to get paid.  The latter likely arises when
someone is working on tasks that are not important to them.