Re: Box cursor at EoL

From: Kenneth Goldman
Subject: Re: Box cursor at EoL
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 13:06:06 -0400

On 10/17/2022 12:06 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Kenneth Goldman wrote:

If this is only because you want to see the trailing
blanks, then customize show-trailing-whitespace to
a non-nil value, and these trailing blanks will be shown
in distinct color.

It's better to never see them, but always remove them ...

In many open source communities, a change that affects white
space would be discouraged or rejected.

Yes, but that's from the perspective of their systems that
would denote such changes as ... changes, right? So if they
are annoyed by that, they should change their own systems that
report that ...

To git (and most version control systems), a change is a change.
The patch history should not be cluttered with changes
that don't change anything.

And even so, if we set Emacs to behave as I suggest (always
remove them), wouldn't that mean _less_ such changes are
reported (occur) in the long run?

No, because not every developer on a project uses emacs.
Their loss!

Bottom line, it makes sense to remove them since they don't do
anyone anything good. But what sense does it make to introduce
them to source files?