Re: Box cursor at EoL

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Box cursor at EoL
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 01:07:50 +0200

Kenneth Goldman wrote:

> To git (and most version control systems), a change is
> a change. The patch history should not be cluttered with
> changes that don't change anything.

It think they could and should be tweaked so that such
changes, which should be easy to do in this case at least,
should not be considered changes.

But even more to the point, if trailing whitespace don't
change anything, why have them _at all_?

>> And even so, if we set Emacs to behave as I suggest (always
>> remove them), wouldn't that mean _less_ such changes are
>> reported (occur) in the long run?
>
> No, because not every developer on a project uses emacs.
> Their loss!

But other editors, and also the VCS that you mention, could
auto-remove them as well, I'm sure.

After that, why introduce them? Problem solved.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal