Re: Function to know weither a dir is local or remote

From: Pascal Quesseveur
Subject: Re: Function to know weither a dir is local or remote
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 14:54:40 +0200

>"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

  EZ> These aren't remote file names.

I am not sure what a remote file name is. There is nothing in
file-remote-p documentation which explains what a remote file name is.

  EZ> A UNC doesn't have to be on a remote computer.

Yes, I know. But in this case it is a remote path.

  EZ> What is the specific problem for which you needed to distinguish
  EZ> between a file shared by another computer and a file on a local
  EZ> drive?

My problem is the following. In Org there is a function to create a
PDF from an org file. That function displays an error message when a
problem occured during PDF creation. To find out if a problem occured
during creation, that function compares the time at the beginning of
the processing and the last modification time of the PDF file. When
the later is behind the former, the function displays an error
message. The problem is when the directory of the PDF file is on a
server, server current time can be different from client current time,
and then the error can be wrongly displayed.

One solution to correct the function can be to create a temporary file
in the same directory as the PDF file and compare the times using
creation time of the temporary file instead of local current time. So
I wanted to know if there exists a function that can check a path and
tells if its remote or local.

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pquessev@gmail.com