Re: Function to know weither a dir is local or remote

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Function to know weither a dir is local or remote
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 19:16:08 +0300

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 14:54:40 +0200
>
> My problem is the following. In Org there is a function to create a
> PDF from an org file. That function displays an error message when a
> problem occured during PDF creation. To find out if a problem occured
> during creation, that function compares the time at the beginning of
> the processing and the last modification time of the PDF file. When
> the later is behind the former, the function displays an error
> message. The problem is when the directory of the PDF file is on a
> server, server current time can be different from client current time,
> and then the error can be wrongly displayed.

This problem is not specific to MS-Windows, it is something that Org
should handle on every system.  So my first advice is to ask the Org
developers how they propose to fix this problem.  The reliance on
synchronized time stamp sounds flaky to me.

> One solution to correct the function can be to create a temporary file
> in the same directory as the PDF file and compare the times using
> creation time of the temporary file instead of local current time. So
> I wanted to know if there exists a function that can check a path and
> tells if its remote or local.

We don't have such a function, no.  You could perhaps approximate it
by assuming that every UNC is a remote file.