Re: Shy groups and * ...eh, what?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Shy groups and * ...eh, what?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 10:34:29 +0200

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 09:37:40AM +0200, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> thanks for answers so far.  We may want to improve that aspect in the
> docstring of `rx' - but note that the more important question was about
> why "\\`\\(?:ab\\)*\\'" matches "a" - that looks like a bug to me.

At least an inconsistency. Since the docs don't say what a repeat operator
with more (or less?) than one argument is supposed to mean...

Personally, I'd disallow repeat operators with argument counts different
from one.

Usually, I'm for extending interfaces as far as it gets, but in this case
there doesn't seem to be an obvious and compelling extension (sequence?
alternative?), so I'd feel that there is a footgun for little gain.

Cheers