Opening a file in the current directory

From: Patrick Mahan
Subject: Opening a file in the current directory
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 15:05:49 -0700

All,

I just recently purchased one of the newer Macbook Pro (M1) 14-inch. So I
downloaded a new version of emacs from https://emacsformacosx.com.  It
seems fine with my current set of customizations, however, there is one
oddity.

It will not open a file from the terminal.  If I give it the command "open
-a /Applications/Emacs.app <filename>", it does not open the file since it
is looking in my home director (~/) not in my current directory.

I did a search on both google and EmacsWiki but could not find a solution
or even a problem description.  What would be the configuration button for
opening in the current directory?  I am currently working around it by
entering the full path name on the command line, but that is rather
annoying.  I can fix this in the little zsh function I wrote to get the
file as its full path but I wanted to see if there is something
configurable in emacs.

I am using emacs 28.2 -
GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.1.0, NS appkit-2113.00
Version 12.0.1 (Build 21A559)) of 2022-09-12

Thanks,

Patrick